Last summer I bought these lamps at Turn Style Consignment for $25 each. I thought it was a steal, but I always thought they were a little harsh, I’m not really a black and white type of gal – so this weekend I decided they needed a little makeover…
I went to Joann Fabrics and was literally wandering around the fabric aisles muttering to myself, “where’s the cute stuff?!” and then I stumbled upon this beauty!
It was $9.99/yard – minus 30%…so really NOT bad at all! I think I purchased 2 yards, being generous as I had not prepared for this one bit, as usual. I figured that should cover two lampshades…
So here we go – these were my weapons of choice. Pretty standard, keep an eye on that hot glue gun though, he’ll getcha.
It was REALLY a lot easier than I anticipated. Most of the prep work was involved in cutting the fabric. I measured the width of the lampshade, and it was almost 10″ wide. So I cut the fabric about 9.5″ wide and was planning to put a band of ribbon around the top and bottom so you wouldn’t see the fabric.
Once I had the fabric cut and pressed, I basically just placed it over the lampshade, starting on one end and working my way around, spraying the underside of the fabric lightly with the fabric adhesive as I went. Notice how I was about a 1/4″ short on each side…that was good!
Once I had the fabric on just right – I too the ribbon edging and started to glue that on so it covered the fabric and went just to the edge of the lampshade. When I got to the end of both the fabric and the ribbon, I folded it over making a sort of makeshift hem, and hot glued it closed. It ended up working really well because it dries quite a bit faster than the fabric glue.
Now that the lampshades were done – I let them set a little while I spray painted the lamp bases. The color is London Grey – it’s sort of a greyish brown. I don’t have any photographic evidence of this step – but trust me (and our now London Grey asphalt driveway), they were painted!
I’m pretty pleased with the result – for about $12 I think I really spruced these up!